This page outlines the guidelines for the online submission process for the virtual competition, for countries not included in the list of National Competitions.
The Global Pulse Confederation (GPC) wants people from all 193 countries of the world to be able to showcase their innovations using pulses to develop novel food products. Your mission is to create an innovative food product to help present pulses to the world and build awareness of the International Year of Pulses. Products should be healthy, nutritious, and convenient to eat; and MUST showcase one or more pulses.
- Call for submissions: A global call for submission was launched on September 31, 2015 on www.iyp2016.org and any supporting web sites for ideas to be submitted online by all global applicants not covered by national competitions. (Please check if your country is on the list of 9 countries to host a national competition before entering the global virtual competition).
- Online submission and video: To enter the virtual competition, you will need to submit a video and complete the online application form. More information on the video requirement is found in our Step by Step Participation Guide. The deadline for submitting both the form and video is March 15, 2016.
- Judging panel: A global judging panel will be convened, chaired by Dr. Mahmoud Solh, Director General of the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Area (ICARDA). Winning individuals or teams will be selected by the panel of judges based on their video and form submissions. The panel will be composed of:
- Chair: Dr Mahmoud Solh, Director General of the International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Area (ICARDA), Lebanon
- Laurette Dubé, Professor, James McGill Chair of Consumer and Lifestyle Psychology and Marketing Chair; McGill University, Canada
- Ian Roberts, CTO, Bühler, Switzerland
- Theodore Margellos, CEO, ILTA Commodities, Switzerland
- Hakan Bahceci, CEO, Hakan Foods, UAE
- Alfonso Velásquez Tuesta, CEO, Sierra Exportadora, Peru
- Showcase: As funding permits, winning teams either from national competitions or from the virtual competition will be invited to a LovePulses Showcase event at the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting and Food Expo in Chicago in July of 2016 either in person or for a virtual presentation. IFT presents the latest trends, newest products, and the most recent innovations driving food science. It attracts more than 23,000 top food science and technology professionals from more than 90 countries, representing the most prominent organizations in the global food sector.
Winners of the LovePulses competitions will receive:
- A chance to showcase your savvy culinary skills in practical food applications & gain food product development experience.
- The opportunity to be profiled at the Institute of Food Technologists event in Chicago.
- International profile for your product on major industry websites.
- Connection to international food processors.